Friday, February 12, 2010

The Show Must Go On


Well it is the start of the Winter Olympics and everyone was geared up to pull for their fellow countrymen. Geared up to have a joyous day and celebrate the challenge of watching each country go at it! I remember how excited I used to get about the Olympics as a kid. I grew up in a home that taught me to take great joy and pride in being an American. I went to school in a community that taught us to take great pride in being an American. I didn't see a White face on the Wheaties Box with the Summer or Winter Olympics, when Bruce Jenner and Dorothy Hamill graced the box front. I saw the Red, White, and Blue Team Uniforms, and Old Glory draped over there shoulders. I saw the medals around their necks and thought about how cool it would be to be a world class athlete. But even then it was bigger than sport, it was bigger than a gold medal. It was being about something bigger than self even. It was about loving others! Loving others is what has made this country great. An entire nation cheering on athletes that represented this great nation. Love for your country!

I used to think about how tough it was for the family members go to the airport and see their loved ones off. I remember how difficult it was for me with each trip to the airport. I would kiss my grandparents good-bye one way, and my mother going the other way, and get on that plane each summer and fall, and fly across the country, and let me tell you for a little fellow that was tough. It's hard to say good-bye to the people you love. No matter how old you are, it's tough. I have always been horrible with good-bye.

Today our community said good-bye to a dear friend. This word (good-bye) was formed in the sixteenth century by shortening the phrase, "God be with you." I think "Lehitra'ot" (See you later) is more appropriate for this occasion, and that we should say God be with you to the grieving family members. Today services for a family man, and community leader, Bill Burleson were held. It was the second time in almost as many weeks that I have gone to visit with a friend to pay my respects in this little community at the same Baptist Church. In both services the pastor of the church (another friend) said that both saints had pretty much preached their own Homegoing Services. With the tragedy that took place in the Olympics today, I pray that Nodar Kumaritashvili the 21 year old Georgian Luger did the same. The Olympics will not be the same this year, and neither will our community. Unfortunately, just like the Olympics our community and Mr. Burleson's family will have to continue on as well. I pray that other families will see the love from this family, and take heed. When asked what amazes me most about life, I would have to say along the same lines, the same thing that Dr. Billy Graham said. Dr, Graham when asked what amazed him most about life said, "The brevity of it." I have known the Burleson's for years, and every family member always looks well, and appears to be in the best of shape. Mr. Roger Burleson said that he his brother Bill were only fourteen months apart, and to him they felt like twins. You know twins have a unique bond. I will especially pray for a brother missing his brother tonight. They are a great looking family, and have hearts to compliment the good looks.

It is a joy to see families bond, but it is as equally sad to see loved ones hurt. The one comfort we hold on to, is knowing that as a family of believers this is not the end. I wish I had something clever to say, something humorous, but in this case I can only say again "See you later friend." We owe it to each other to get past religious differences, political differences, racial differences, and find common ground. We are humans and were created to love one another. If one believes in a higher power, or just in oneself, one has to come to terms with understanding that they are not the only person on the planet. Love one another so that you do not miss the opportunity to love, and to be loved. From the look of the parking lot of the small town Baptist church, Mr. Burleson was well loved and highly respected. Fred, Beth, Mrs. Burleson, and family thank you for returning the love today, in such a difficult time. God bless you all.

No comments:

Post a Comment